Graduate’s Story – Lee Poh Chin, MAICS 2023

Lee Poh Chin (Singapore), MA Intercultural Studies (2023)

“The journey, not the destination matters” (T. S. Eliot, poet, essayist, Nobel Prize Literature laureate in 1948).

“I’m here for the ride,” says Lee Poh Chin, principal-mentor of an international school ministry in Kampong Speu, Cambodia, before she came to EAST. The PhD holder in Human Movement and Exercise Science from University of Western Australia wanted a school that prepares her to serve among Khmer people. “EAST has not disappointed me,” she says.

“Rev Kwok Wai’s ‘Spiritual Movements’ opened my eyes to the many ways of sharing Christ; Dr Raymond Song’s ’Honour and Shame’ taught me to plant love, not guilt; and ‘Soul Care’ class restored restedness to my soul.” In a world culture where people are preoccupied with life, the former Marathon Club member of her alma mater found EAST “refreshing.” This lover of children’s classics and a good conversation appreciates how professors allowed her to “banter and analyse issues for myself,” and administrative staff who were ever willing to stop to help.

“I learned a lot from absorbing goings-on around me,” says Poh Chin, “and the many random words of wisdom.”  “Once Dr Raymond Song said in passing at one of the chapels: ‘Doing assignments is also worship.’ I had just complained to God that morning about assignments!”

The 18-year primary school teacher in Singapore confides that she has been inspired by her younger classmates’ commitment to the Great Commission, and love for people. “Brandon (Singapore) is a model of focus; Anj (Philippines) always puts in 100% in what she does; and Mikeel (Philippines), he’s full of service. In my first semester when we didn’t even know one another well, he sent me links to files without my asking, and even wished me on my birthday,” says Poh Chin “The journey at EAST has given me head, heart, hands – and may I add, new habits – to carry me back to serve God on the mission field.”

Graphic designed by Blessed Ong, article written by Dr Lau Ying Kheng.

Filed under Good Reads · Tagged with , ,