Welcoming New Student: Dom Chen

Welcome Lunch with Dom Chen

Our new student for the second semester, Mr Dom Chen (pseudonym)  has arrived in Singapore during the Advent Season. He had wanted to study at EAST back in 2019 but at that time, Covid-19 happened and the world was in a panic mode globally.  We at EAST are as heartened as he is that he has finally made his way to Singapore and EAST after the pandemic has more or less settled down. Below is a short interview with Dom regarding how he came to know about EAST and his experience thus far. Do pray for him and his family who will soon be joining him that their years of equipping at EAST will be impactful for their lives, leading them to greater transformation in their Head, Heart, Hands by the power of the Holy Spirit for the Glory of God.

1) How did you know about EAST?

First of all, Nelson Lo, currently an EAST Resident Faculty, had been my mentor for two years during my college years. We have been keeping in touch for many years, even upon graduation. I knew about EAST from him. Then, Ronald Tang (pseudonym), an EAST alumnus was our pastor. He graduated from EAST and also recommended the seminary. Finally, my wife had been a full-time staff in Cru for seven years and we have friends who studied in EAST.

2) What made you decide to come to EAST?

In 2019, when I thought about studying overseas,  EAST was my first choice. I wanted to be reignited and refreshed in my faith and ministry. I wanted to enjoy good fellowship. I wanted to have a rest in His grace and restart our ministry. I believe the Lord will bless me through EAST. Even though it was delayed by Covid-19, my studies in East will commence now.

3) How is your experience at EAST so far?

My heart is warmed and I feel so welcomed.  Mr Matthew Winslow, Dean of Students, and Ms Chew Lee Hoong, Ministry Staff, picked me up at the airport. Mrs Boon Aitee helped me a lot and gave me much advice even before I arrived. She got students and her network of friends to help me too. I am blessed by Elijah, current student, and Dr Joseph Khoo, a partner of EAST. Sijie, Matthew’s wife, helped me to settle down as well.  I am blessed, and my experience is so good!

4) Would you recommend East to your friends?

Yes, I will.

5) Anything else you wish to tell others why they should come to East?

I feel EAST is a warm family from the very beginning. I am eager to know more about our Lord and His Word. I am happy to enjoy the fellowship of the body of Christ. I am inquisitive to see His works all over the world. I will begin my adventure at EAST and in Singapore. I will continue to share more stories along the way.

I am glad to come during this Advent season and witnessed how Aitee and her cell group organised a Christmas evangelistic party. I enjoyed all the yummy home cooked food by the cell members and most importantly, rejoiced with the three salvations at the event.

Dom will be pursuing a Master of Arts in Leadership starting January 2024. Do pray for him and his young family to adjust and settle down well to the multi-cultural environment at EAST and in Singapore. Pray for God to reveal more of Himself through His word, the EAST Community and the wider Church in Singapore to Dom and his family.

Filed under Interview · Tagged with , ,