Clare’s EASTperience

A day before my flight to Singapore, I questioned myself again “Is this what God wants me to do? Did I make the right decision to go to Singapore for my theological education?” Just as always, God spoke to me through His word and I am assured that this is His next step and direction for me.

God reminded me in Joshua 1:9, Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

God asks us to be courageous and to take faith steps not because of how capable we are but because of His sweet promise that HE IS WITH US wherever we go. So I confidently boarded that flight despite all my fears and “leapt” into the unknowns. After twenty-some hours, I arrived at Changi airport, I immediately felt welcomed as I was warmly received by a faculty member and his wife at the airport. 

It has just been a little over a month since being here, and I have really enjoyed getting to know everyone here at EAST. One of EASTs core values is training seminary students to become servant-leaders, and I love that because isn’t this Jesus’ model of discipleship?  The God of the universe, humbled himself by serving his disciples by washing their feet, and we are called to do the same. Here at EAST, I already saw that being demonstrated by our teachers and faculty.

A few days ago, I was walking with one of my classmates and saw someone diligently working the schools garden. We chatted a bit with him, and after we said goodbye, I asked my classmate, Is that the gardener?” She said no, that is a faculty member (who holds a doctoral degree). This is just one of the many examples of how I have witnessed Christ-like servant leaders here at EAST. It is truly an honor to be guided by them as we learn from each of them. Additionally, I am thankful that the teachers and faculty not only meet us in the classrooms but also outside of the classrooms, sharing their lives and ministry with us just as Jesus was intimately involved with His disciples.

The above reflection is by Clare Chen, a first year MA Intercultural Studies student, who has recently arrived in Singapore from Michigan, USA. Clare first heard about EAST through a friend and decided to explore further. She has decided to equip herself at EAST as she explores ministry in East Asia.