Alumni Taught Mental Health to EAST Faculty

It was a treat for EAST faculty to be taught by alumni Tan Fang Fang and Kelvin Ng on practical issues relating to mental and spiritual health at the Faculty Development Days in May 2022. It was a much needed workshop after two years of the pandemic which has taken a toll on the mental health of many. This applies to EAST faculty as well who had to adapt to profound changes almost overnight in their course content formulation, instructional design, mode of delivery, and mediated mentoring. Fang Fang and Kelvin, who are both serving at Frankel Estate Bethesda Church, facilitated the time by opening up opportunities for honest conversations through case studies on the mental and spiritual challenges that one faces. Principles and best practices gleaned from the Word and Christian counselling were also discussed and explored in the context of faculty.

EAST News caught up with both of them with an interview after they have conducted the faculty workshop.

1. How has it been like for you in conducting a workshop for EAST faculty as an alumni?

Fang Fang: It is generally a joy and a privilege to work alongside like-minded friends. And because Kelvin and I have found ourselves very blessed by CCEF (Christian Counselling and Education Foundation), the opportunity to share what we have learned over the years with others has been both gratifying and exciting.

Kelvin: I was not a great student in EAST academically, so naturally I felt a little intimidated to be sharing something with my former professors. Fang Fang was very kind to let me share. I think that the best teachers are often great learners. That is true for the faculty of EAST. They were engaged in taking in the material and discussing the case studies. Listening to the faculty’s thoughts and reflections helped me appreciate them even more.

2. Another batch of graduands are receiving their diplomas on 21 May 2022. What words of encouragement do you (Fang Fang) have for them as they begin a new chapter?

Fang Fang: I’ll borrow Jerry Bridges’ words because they have been so impactful on me personally: “Preach the gospel to yourself everyday. The gospel is not only the most important message in all of history; it is the only essential message in all of history. Yet we allow thousands of professing Christians to live their entire lives without clearly understanding it and experiencing the joy of living by it.”

3. Congratulations Kelvin! I hear your number two daughter is on the way. What preparations have you and your wife Julienne made to welcome this addition to the family?

Kelvin: We have been reflecting on past mistakes made with Theo so that we would not be repeating them with the new baby. Our kind friends have been giving us baby stuff. Pray that Theo will not be possessive of us and welcome her sibling with great care and love.

4. Share a life verse which you hold dear to your heart and ministry.

Fang Fang: 1 Thessalonians 5:14 “And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.”

Kelvin: I have been reflecting a little on John 16:33 and hope that even in tough circumstances, I will take heart and turn to Jesus who has overcome the world.

Tan Fang Fang graduated in 2016 with a Graduate Diploma in Christian Ministry and was the valedictorian at the 22nd Commencement Service. Kelvin Ng graduated with a Master of Arts in Christian Ministry in 2018 and served in the Philippines with his young family for 10 months before Covid-19 struck and they had to return home.