A Breath of Fresh Air

“A BREATH OF FRESH AIR” By Dr Lau Ying Kheng, faculty at East Asia School of Theology

In April this year, the 2nd wave of Covid-19 engulfed India, taking away over 7 million jobs. Almost overnight, 9,000 Indian children lost one or both parents (theguardian.com). It was devastating.

That wave made a splash in my life a month later. One early morning, while praying and preparing for a talk on “Freedom”, the Lord asked me, “You said your heart is broken for India, so what will you do for her?”

I shared this burden with my Bible study group two hours later; two of the ladies told me, “God asked me the same question before I came!”

But what could we do? And how? The headlines those days were screaming out for “oxygen” in India; so our immediate thought was: “Let’s send fresh air in!” But every doctor I knew, and friend I called in India, told me, “This is impossible.”

Two days later, one of my field practicum students, Yami, sent me an SOS on whatsapp: more than 50 youths in home church all down with Covid-19! Youth ministry closed down!

As we prayed and talked over the phone, I discovered that her home church – Tangkhul Church, Delhi (TCD) – is helping Covid-19 victims at a “Mount Carmel” care centre which had a walk-in “oxy-cafe” for anyone who needed a breath of fresh air. “I just had a Zoom meeting with my church leaders,” said Yami, “we were all crying as resources were running out for medicine, masks, oxygen, . . . .” Those words confirmed that here was the final destination that we were looking for.

Compared to the needs in India, what my ladies – and their disciples and friends – raised over the following two months was a drop in the ocean; but that drop could save lives. By God’s grace, we purchased protective garments for TCD volunteers as they ministered in the wards – some had the same coveralls for days; medicine, masks and food for 500 covid victims; food for orphans in Delhi and Manipur (North East India); and medicine for five covid centres and a HIV centre for orphans and widows in Manipur.

I conducted a Soul Care session for 10 TCD church pastors who volunteered at Mt Carmel. They were exhausted from visiting the dying and burying the dead everyday – one of them shared that the sight of bodies piling up was a common sight. Three of them, including Dr Zimik the chief pastor, had just recovered from Covid-19; some had not touched their own children for months. Their commitment to the Great Commission and courage in face of crises deeply impressed me. In November, I joined three local leaders to speak at the church’s first-ever online youth camp. Pastor Jimmy, coordinator of the camp, told me that they had no idea if any would come; 250 university students signed up. Praise God that on the final evening, 40 indicated decisions for Christ.

Through Yami’s connections, we also sent some money to Jabal, an evangelist working in the unchurched area of Kovanur in the southern state of Tamil Nadu. Jabal and his team are passionate about reaching the poorest, and most forgotten, areas of India; and to Dalits, a people who often face caste-based discrimination and violence.

“We distributed rice and wheat for families and orphans in the village and preached the gospel of hope and love,” said Jabal, who himself was struck down with Covid at the beginning of the crises. On 13 June, his team conducted the first church service in Kovanur for 5 believers, and 15 pre-believers. Today that fellowship has grown into a small church; and Jabal and his men continue to plant new congregations in other areas.

“Since God called me into ministry, not even my own parents provided me with encouragement,” he wrote. “At a time of greatest need, your help came and refreshed our hearts, vision and courage.”

Filed under Good Reads, Newsletter · Tagged with , , ,