Introducing Student Council President: Brandon Chan

Left to Right: Adeline, Brandon Chan, Brandon’s brother, Brandon’s sister-in-law Front row: Brandon’s dad and mum

Sports has always been a big part of my life. I always loved everything that is related to sports in general. Since I was a young boy, I would want to go to a park, a court, or an empty field. My parents even sent me to swimming lessons when I was seven years old. It was then no surprise that I took up studying sports at polytechnic and university. God led me to EAST through sports. A simple tennis game turned out to be a profound game changer.

As I walked out of the tennis court, I was trying to find my way to the bus stop. This is because I wanted to go to Novena MRT station. Google maps on my phone then led me to the entrance of EAST’s old campus. There was no one there at that point, but I went to do some research on bible seminaries. I had my doubts and fears. My bible exposition is not good, I cannot even understand Chinese so what more about Hebrew? I took a small step and enrolled as a credit student then for two courses. This was just an attempt to see whether I could do seminary studies. After much prayer and seeking godly counsel, I took the step to enroll as a full-time student. The LORD was gracious enough to lead me to choose EAST for obvious and personal reasons.

The journey at EAST has been a rich experience. It might surprise many people that I am not in seminary to gain knowledge. This is of course true to a certain extent. Seminary helps one to be equipped. My primary purpose for bible college is for the development of my character. I chose EAST because the school focuses on community and character. It does not just focus on academic studies. Character in ministry is something I believe cannot be taught in a classroom. It is something that will stay with a person for ages. Through the interactions at mentoring groups (MG), firm classes, ministry weekend, connections with fellow Christians, the college has given me an opportunity to build my character. I pray that through studying at EAST, I will be able to gain valuable ministry experiences.

There is no greater joy in learning about God’s truth. There is even greater joy when I see people lives changed. The journey demands not just a foundational knowledge of the Bible, but it also requires character. They include humility, patience, discipline, and love. This “spiritual investment” in seminary will reap eternal rewards. EAST has helped me to focus my mind on the things above. I hope that throughout the rest of this journey, I will continue to lift my eyes to see Jesus.

Prayer Items:

1. Family: We will welcome a new addition to the family come end of August. She will be entering her 37th week. Baby Callum by God’s grace will be born very soon. Pray for a smooth delivery for my sister-in-law. Pray also for recovery, smooth transitions, and upbringing in the fear of the LORD.
  2. Ministry: Youth meetings will soon resume back on-site at church. Pray for a smooth transition back to church. Pray also for youths who have not been coming “online”, and they will return to church. Pray for youths under my care, that God will give me wisdom and discernment as I reach out to them.
  3. Personal: Pray for good health and wisdom in ministry as a youth worker. Pray that I will be faithful, joyful, and loving in ministry. I have also started to pray and think about future directions after EAST. Pray that God will guide me in all my thoughts, and I will decide what is best. Pray for Adeline (in picture) and I as we begin to look for a home next year, that the Lord will be in the center of our relationship daily.

Brandon Chan is currently a 2nd year MDiv Intercultural Studies student at EAST. He is also the Student Council President for 2021/2022.

Filed under Newsletter · Tagged with , ,