Learning More!

You may know this already. I am sure I am not telling you anything new when I say that a teacher learns a lot more than his students. I am learning so much more preparing new classes than I ever remember learning as a student. This is especially true now that I am teaching more new classes than I ever have before.

My class on the book of Genesis has just finished. While I enjoyed the content and the students, I struggled with fitting such a lot of material into 10 weeks of two-hour classes. I not only learned much more about Genesis, I also learned how I would teach it differently next time.

My class on the Poetic and Wisdom Books of the Old Testament is going really well. I studied engineering, so I am not much of a poet! But I have been learning a lot as we have gone through the books of Psalms, Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and (whisper) Song of Songs! I particularly enjoyed the last two–probably two of the most misunderstood and ignored books in the Bible. I am actually preaching from Ecclesiastes this Sunday. (You can access the sermon at http://www.cicfamily.com.)

The class I have just started is “Theology of Missions”, which traces the development of World Missions right through the Bible. Again this is an area I had not taught before, so I am gaining much more than my students as I do the background preparation, and then plan how to present the material.

Read full letter

Filed under Newsletter · Tagged with , ,